Guidelines for Campus Bars - Effective September 1, 2010
Lakehead University has contracted with ARAMARK Campus Services Ltd., to manage and operate all liquor service activities that fall outside the specific jurisdiction of the Lakehead University Student Union (i.e. The Outpost and The Study).
These events - receptions, dinners, special occasions, conference bookings - are to be held in a licensed location on campus - and must be supervised by ARAMARK staff who have been appropriately trained in the serving of alcoholic beverages.
The following provisions apply with respect to the holding of any event on campus that involves the serving of alcoholic beverages:
- A request for liquor services must be placed with Conference Services at least 2 weeks before the date of the event. Details on the venue, type of bar (Cash or Host), the beverages and food to be offered, numbers attending, etc. will be set out at this time.
- Ontario law requires that food be available throughout any function where alcohol is served. "Food" in this context does not constitute snack items such as potato chips, nuts, pretzels, etc. At all events, a selection of non-alcoholic beverages must be available at reasonable cost. Please see Food Policies.
- Liquor Services are mandated to operate on a complete cash recovery basis. Any losses encountered in the operation of a bar at a licensed event will be charged back to the organization or group responsible for the function. Specifically, charges will include labour (a minimum of two staff for three hours each), spirits, wine, beer, mix, and incidental supplies. Staff require one hour to set-up prior to service and one hour to clean-up after service.
- Bar sales in excess of $300.00 will cover the costs of operating a bar and no fees as outlined in paragraph 3 will be charged. If bar sales are less than $300.00, the sponsoring group will be charged a Bar Service fee of $100.00, or the difference between the minimum and actual sales, whichever is less. (For larger events requiring more than two staff, the minimum amount of bar sales necessary to waive the fee increases proportionately with the staffing.)
- All employees, patrons, and sponsors, must abide by the prevailing laws relating to the dispensing and consumption of alcohol as set out in the Liquor License Act of Ontario, and ARAMARK is responsible for ensuring compliance with this law, and with the other provisions of the University's Alcohol Policy.
|All liquor is subject to 13% HST|
|Type of Alcohol||Amount||Price|
|Domestic Beer||12 oz||$3.75|
|Wine by the Glass||4 oz||$5.00|
|Wine by the Bottle||750 ml||$25.00|
The information contained within the Food Services section of this website is referenced in part from the Aramark CampusDish website. In the event of discrepancies between a Conference Services webpage and an ARAMARK webpage, the provisions of ARAMARK shall prevail.